RAAF Adelaide River Airstrip (73 Mile)
Mt Bundy Station by Doug Tilley and Clinton Bock
Acknowledgement to Doug Tilley
Private Property / Permission Required
Dedicated to those airmen who did not return.
Some information about the Airstrips from the US Navy Fleet Radio Unit.
In an undated report believed to deal with the selection of a site for the HFDF installation, The intercept station was located on a series of lightly wooded hills and rises about three miles from Adelaide River center. Adjacent to the station was a large clay pan some miles in area, which had been used as an emergency landing strip during 1942 but was abandoned since it could only be used during the dry season. During the wet season, it would flood to a depth of a few inches with the unflooded area turning into wet clay while in the dry season, the surface turned to a powder dry surface soil of low conductivity. However, even in the dry season, water could always be found a few feet beneath the surface. It was decided that this particular clay pan would serve well as an HFDF site; particularly since this and other clay pans in the area were about the only flat areas of sufficient size.
The 8th squadron, 49th Fighter Pursuit Group United Stated Army Air Corps used the airstrip for a short time and had a small camp on the edge of the flood plain to the East of Haynes Road on Mt Bundy Station, The type of aircraft used was the P-40E Warhawk.
43rd Service (Materiel) Squadron USAAF at Adelaide River
A photograph of a Spitfire MkVcTrop, possibly taken at Adelaide River Airstrip. Spitfires were known to have used this airstrip for repair and emergency landings given the artifacts observed at the site. (Could also possible be Pell Field) Special thanks to ‘pacificvictoryroll.com’ for the use of the photograph.